Sunday, July 24, 2005

Patriot Act Redux

"Why sunset legislation where there's been no actual record of abuse and vigorous oversight?" Sensenbrenner said.

The very nature of abuse implies that damage has been done. Must our rights be stripped, innocents jailed, and our lives intruded upon before we decide to limit our government's power? I believe we are smart enough as a nation to think throught the possible (likely) scenarios in which our constitutionally guaranteed freedoms to privacy, from illegal search, and from search without probable cause might be compromised without any "actual record".

This lack of record is exactly the problem. Call me a cynic, but I don't trust this administration (or any other) to put my rights before their concerns. During trying times is exactly when we need to be most valiant in protecting the rights that countless Americans have fought and died to ensure.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear Matt, I´m a girl from Argentina, the third world, nice place.I liked your blog very much, I agree with you, and I see you don´t get much comments (a shame).
keep up, maybe if you get The States to be a better place, the third world would improve their life standars also.
thanks in advance
Ana Lucia

7:29 PM  
Blogger matt said...

I think the lack of comments mirrors the lack of posts. You're right though. The time for apathy is long past. Action on behalf of all people, not just in the US, is needed. If you'll work on Argentina, I'll work here. Deal? Thanks for your comment.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Dedwarmo said...

Give us more Tunk!

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home